Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Did we win at Doyle's auction Feb. 24th?

Doyle's had the Belle Epoque auction today and we had bid on two items.

We bid on this painting attributed to  Francis Davis Millet who painted at the end of the 19th century, and died on the Titanic. The painting is supposed to be of his wife. The painting has some condition issues that were noted in the catalogue. Thus we bid under the low estimate. This one was for me because I found her very intriguing and love her direct gaze. My husband was not as interested.

 

Francis Davis Millet. Est. $1,500 - $2,500
We won this one, and under the low end! This will hang in my new home office at the house we're building. I will really enjoy having her gaze over me every day.

The other item we bid on was this console table and mirror. 


 
  Art Deco Iron Console Table and Mirror Est. $800 - $1,200

We were not successful on this. We put in a bid above the high end of the estimate range but it went for $4,000 ($5,000 with the premiums added on). This is disappointing, but one needs to set limits!

One of the other pieces we admired that I'd profiled on the blog on this auction was this very interesting bronze hanging cabinet. We didn't bid on it, and we would have missed it by a mile. 


 
    Charles Parker Co. Aesthetic Movement Cabinet Est. $1,000 - $1,500

This sold for $8,500 ($10,625 with the premiums)! It really was a cool piece and I guess some others thought so as well!

This vase that was in my blog went for a steal in my view. It was as lovely in person as in the photo.

 
Art Nouveau Vase Est. $500 - $700
This went for $350 ($438 with premiums). 

I always find it very instructive to look through the auction results on line. It's part of the constant education on pricing. That said, each auction is a dynamic of the specific people bidding, and a competition between two people can drive a price up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...