Monday, October 11, 2010

Add a sconce & add mood

I think of sconces as art over function. They are a wonderful way to add decoration to your walls and mood lighting as well. They need not be expensive, but have a lot of bang for the buck in terms of adding style. I use them all over the place - with candles in the dining room, electrified versions on either side of the bed, either side of a mirror in a living room with or without electrification.  In a small entrance hall they add real glam either side of that small console table.

House Beautiful - Designer: Jonathan Rosen

Traditional Home - Designer: Jamie Drake

Canadian House and Home

My house

In each example the sconces serve to draw your eye, and are quite chic as well. The last example in my own house shows a very inexpensive candle sconce that I bought to dress up a furnished apartment in London. The pair was under $100, and we used them all the time.

At auction there is always a selection of sconces, so it's just a matter of finding a style that suits your own. Just think what a pair can do to dress up some place in your home that needs a little extra decorating oomph. 

I only needed to go to the next Doyle@Home sale scheduled for October 13th to show you a range of styles any of which would add chic to your space. 



This pair of neoclassical style gilt wood sconces are refined and elegant. I would love them in an entryway, a dining room, or even a  bathroom to add glamor. These are Lot 556, are 29" tall, and have an auction estimate at the Doyle's sale of $700 - $1,000.



Taking the glam up a notch try these George III style cut glass sconces. These are best in a dining room with some formality, or in a tiny powder room for an unexpected shot of style. These are Lot 607, 24" tall, and have an estimate of $800 - $1,200. 













I have a soft spot for anything neoclassical. I like the tailored look of these compact (13") gilt sconces. They speak of Napoleon to me. They are quite chic and would be great in a small space, like that non-entryway that needs definition. These are Lot 451A and have an auction estimate of $400 - $600.





 

This pair of Victorian style mirror backed and glass sconces are simple enough in design, but a statement in any room. The mirrors reflect the light adding more depth to the effect. These would be perfect in an entry, dining room or living room. These are Lot 445A, are 25" tall, and have an estimate of $600 - $900.










For something much more feminine, these Louis XV style tole and porcelain sconces are quite pretty. These would be great in a bijoux powder room, or maybe a your girl's bedroom. They are Lot 553, are 16" tall, and have an estimate of $400 - $600.






These really caught my eye! I have never seen anything quite like them. These are a pair of enameled metal cobra form sconces. I'm not exactly sure where I'd put them, but they would be quite unexpected in a dining room or entrance hall. They would certainly create conversation. These are Lot 372, are 35" tall, and have an auction estimate at Doyle New York of $400 - $600.






Take a look around your house or apartment and I'm sure you'll find a place that a pair of sconces would enhance!

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I am looking for candle sconces for my home. This post was very informative and useful. I never thought of sconces as art.

    Thank you,
    Theresa
    @aromaliving

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad! There are lots of interesting sconces out there at auction!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...