Sunday, August 29, 2010

Are you off your rocker - a cool rocking chair?

For me, rocking chairs conjure up visions of retirement homes, and occasionally a rustic front porch. I rarely think of them as cool.


I've been struck by some cool versions at auction that make me pause and wonder if I should add a rocking chair to my home. It might be nice to curl up with a book or watch TV while rocking myself to relaxation.

Now this is a cool rocker! This is described as a late 19th century 'American Innovative' rocking chair. It sold at a New Orleans Auction for $307! I love the circular forms and the broken in brown leather.


This rocking chair is as mid-century as it gets. Wonderful simple lines and leather upholstery. This was designed by Ole Wanscher (Danish 1951) and sold for $1,875 at a Wright 21 Scandinavian sale earlier this year. It had an auction estimate of $2,000 - $3,000.


New Orleans Auction - Lot 581 - Sept. 11th and 12th

But, if the traditional rocker is what rocks you, then this vernacular American painted oak ladderback may be for you. It's circa 1900 and has an auction estimate at New Orleans Auction of $200 - $400.

Then there's the classic Charles and Ray Eames version. This one sold at a Wright 21 Auction for $813. I like this particular one because of the blue upholstery with the red plastic.

I may be won over to the idea that a rocking chair can be cool, and will be keeping my eye out at auction for one that has great design as well as comfort.

1 comment:

  1. The Eames is so cute, its like a little modern sled! It would bring a smile to my face every day!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...